University of Utah Data Architect in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 02/05/2021
Requisition Number PRN25238B
Job Title Data Architect
Working Title Data Architect
Job Grade G
FLSA Code Computer Employee
Patient Sensitive Job Code? No
Standard Hours per Week 40
Full Time or Part Time? Full Time
Work Schedule Summary
VP Area U of U Health - Academics
Department 01828 - Univ Faculty Info & Support
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range 60700 to 85000
Open Until Filled Yes
The University Faculty Information & Support ( UFIS ) department is looking for a passionate Data Architect with demonstrated experience using modern tools and processes to join a diverse and energetic team.
About University Faculty Information & Support
University Faculty Information & Support provides administrative applications and support to leadership across all colleges at the University of Utah including University of Utah Health Academics (non-clinical). Our information systems and integration with other institutional data sources allow us to provide comprehensive management of faculty data and faculty-centric processes in support of the various missions of the university.
What You Bring
You are an experienced technical Oracle DBA who can analyze and implement database technology infrastructure solutions with minimal supervision and demonstrate the technical aptitude to troubleshoot and resolve technical issues quickly. You have a passion for design, working with large data sets, complex problem solving, and a strong drive to work with and motivate a team of highly-talented peers. You show a strong DevOps mindset with experience developing a distributed system and pipelines to deploy it continuously without downtime. You have the ability to collaborate well with your team members and influence your peers. You demonstrate the aptitude to learn new technologies and communicate the business value of a new technology solution. You can evaluate, design and implement project database design solutions. You demonstrate extraordinary communication skills to the point where we feel that not only can you talk to engineers, but to the Dean, our customers, and everyone in between and be a credit to our organization.
This position is considered Category IIA : Not required on campus and has the ability to telework remotely for the duration of the University of Utah’s response to COVID -19. An employee hired into this role will be responsible for providing space, telephone, printing, networking and/or internet capabilities at the telecommute location and agree to the terms of the University of Utah campus and Health Academics COVID -19 Telecommuting Agreement.
What You’d Do
As a Data Architect with UFIS you’ll work with data science, engineering, and product management teams to ensure the quality of our most important asset – our data.
The Data Architect is ultimately responsible for integrating data (pull) from disparate university departments and systems and sharing data (push) utilizing a variety of technical mechanisms to our university partners. This includes:
- Designs relational and dimensional databases and building and maintaining pipelines for data science and software development efforts.
- Responsibilities for the health of our databases, working closely with university DBAs to ensure uptime, timely upgrades, successful patching, etc.
- Develops, documents, and delivers complex ad-hoc queries of production data as requested by business users, product management, and our data scientist.
- Records detailed logical and physical data models in the information repository and coordinates the publication and maintenance of these models.
- Facilitates database design sessions and translates business requirements into logical and physical system designs for moderately complex projects.
- Coordinates the physical database design and implementation process for moderately complex projects. Designs the optimal data presentation environment for the customer and works with various reporting tools.
- Coordinates with specific database performance monitoring and tuning tasks including the design of optimization and indexing schemes for moderately complex projects.
- Develops, tests and implements ETL (extract, transformation. and load) routines.
- Provides leadership for moderately complex projects through the development of project work plans, milestone tracking, and coordination of efforts.
- Assists in the development and implementation of database backup, recovery, upgrades, patches, and support plans.
- Participates in the technical review process of designs completed by others.
- Works effectively with users and staff to determine needs, specifications, feasibility, and project priorities.
Work Environment and Level of Frequency typically required
Nearly Continuously: Office environment.
Physical Requirements and Level of Frequency that may be required
Nearly Continuously: Sitting, hearing, listening, talking.
Often: Repetitive hand motion (such as typing), walking.
Seldom: Bending, reaching overhead.
Requires a bachelor’s degree or equivalency in a related area and 2-4 years of experience in the field or in a related area.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
- Experience with analytic practices and business intelligence and visualization tools like Tableau.
- Experience with Pentaho PRD , PDI .
- Dimensional Modeling/cube creation, Unix, Object-oriented databases, CASE tools.
- Familiarity with analytical scripting languages (Python, R, Java, etc.)
- Experience working with REST , SOAP , FTP , HTTP .
- Server admin experience.
Demonstrated advanced Oracle RDBMS DBA skills including SQL , DDL , DML , and PL/ SQL .
Expert in MS Excel, Jira, Confluence, Slack, MS Access & ODBC .
Demonstrated interpersonal communication skills to promote and advance business intelligence in collaboration with our customers.
Demonstrated project management skills, customer service skills, as well as demonstrated organizational skills.
Demonstrated ability to deal with highly sensitive and confidential material and adhere to data security and confidentiality protocols and procedures.
Demonstrated knowledge of general data warehousing concepts and understands the primary differences between On-line Transaction Processing and Decision Support systems and how to appropriately support the requirements and environments for each.
Experience with database backup, recovery, upgrades, patches, and support plans.
Type Benefited Staff
Special Instructions Summary
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law.
To inquire about this posting, email: email@example.com or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: firstname.lastname@example.org .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Eligible new hires with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in URS if they make the election before they become eligible for retirement (usually the first day of work). Contact Human Resources at (801) 581-7447 for information. Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS are subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Eligible new hires with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in URS if they make the election before they become eligible for retirement (usually the first day of work). Contact Human Resources at (801) 581-7447 for information. Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS are subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.