Northrop Grumman GBSD -Sr. Principal Systems Engineer(Ordnance) in Roy, Utah
Embark on a career putting innovative, reliable, and agile products and ideas into orbit, and beyond. Northrop Grumman has opportunities waiting for you that play a vital role in human space exploration, national defense, and scientific discovery, supporting multiple programs across the universe. With us, you'll discover a culture of curiosity and collaboration that will have you Defining Possible from the day you start. Our space systems connect and protect millions of people on earth every day, now and for the future. Explore your future and launch your career today.
Northrop Grumman Space Systems is seeking a Sr. Principal Systems Engineer. This position will be located in Utah and will support the Ground Based Strategic Deterrent (GBSD) program. Learn more about the GBSD program here.
What You'll Get To Do:
• Systems Engineer for the Post Boost Attitude Control Module that designs and develops system architectures, and defines key capabilities and performance requirements.
• Oversee design and requirement maturation for qualification, sustainment of energetic and pyrotechnic sub-systems and components for propulsion elements within our post boost vehicle.
• Works with design and requirements to control critical interfaces with detailed guidelines
• Mature the capabilities through functional analysis and Model-based Systems Engineering (MBSE) processes to deliver just-in-time design and optimize the development schedule for incremental capability development and early integration.
• Collaborate with several stakeholders (subsystem developers, system integrators, system testers, system requirements engineers) to support delivery of quality design products,
• Support development of thread integration plans and procedures and maintain technical cognizance of subsystem interdependencies and maturity of ICD's for identifying and resolving gaps.
• Develops thorough definition of system external interfaces.
• Ensures requirements are met and evaluates performance with customer.
• Apply advanced technical principles, theories, and concepts. Contributes to the development of new principles and concepts.
• Work on unusually complex technical problems and provide solutions which are highly innovative and ingenious.
• Assignments are often self-initiated. Determine and pursue courses of action necessary to obtain desired results. Work checked through consultation and agreement with others rather than by formal review of superior
• Develops advanced technological ideas and guides their development into a final product. Erroneous decisions or recommendations would typically result in failure to achieve critical organizational objectives and effect the image of the organization technological capability.
As a full-time employee of Northrop Grumman Space Systems, you are eligible for our robust benefits package including:
• Medical, Dental & Vision coverage
• Educational Assistance
• Life Insurance
• Employee Assistance Programs & Work/Life Solutions
• Paid Time Off
• Health & Wellness Resources
• Employee Discounts
This position's standard work schedule is a 9/80. The 9/80 schedule allows employees who work a nine-hour day Monday through Thursday to take every other Friday off.
You will bring these qualifications:
• Bachelor's Degree in STEM - Science, Technology, Engineering, Math or related area (Degrees in Aerospace or Mechanical Engineering highly preferred) and 9+ years of experience, Master's Degree and 7+ years of experience; 4 Years with PhD.
• An active DoD Secret Clearance
• 3+ years working in Spacecraft, Aircraft or Missile Development & Qualification.
• Experience with modern (Model Based System Engineering) MBSE principles
• Experience working in DOORs and/or CAMEO for specification, architecture and verification management respectively
These qualifications would be nice to have:
• Experience with Initiators and Detonators, Shape Charges (LSC & Conical), Space Release Mechanisms (energetic & non-energetic), Pressure Cartridges, Thrusters, Rocket Motor Ignition Safe & Arm Devices, Vehicle Staging & Separation Mechanisms (Frangible Joints, LSC)
• Experience with standing up and developing Verification Cross Reference Matrices (VCRMs) for complex systems
• Experience with creating Requirements vs Capabilitiy (RvC) matrices
• Experience developing and executing verification or qualification plans
• 2+ years working with Military Ordnance, or Launch Vehicle energetic devices including: - FCDCA, FCDCM, FCDCI o CDF, CDFI, CDFM
• Experience developing and qualifying Liquid Propulsion Systems for Spacecraft
• Experience with engine hot fire testing and/or SMC-S-025
• Experience with vehicle development in line with SMC-S-016 or MIL-STD-1540
• Certificate in MBSE Principles / Concepts from an accredited university
-Strong problem solving skills
• Bachelor's or Master's of Science degree in Aerospace, Mechanical, Chemical or Electrical Engineering preferred
• A current active US Government DoD Secret or Top Secret clearance preferred.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Category : Engineering